Favorite Quotes Shuffle [Read, Refresh, Repeat]

Red River Series Review

Red River 28 (Red River #28)Red River by Chie Shinohara
Overall Series Rating:
✰ Art: 3.5 Stars
✰ Story: 3 Stars

Series Review:
Red River's art is gorgeous and impressively consistent throughout all 28 volumes, but it has a distinctive 1980s–90s style. It is not my personal aesthetic preference, so I did not vibe with it, but I can objectively appreciate how well done it is.

As far as the story is concerned, it is middling at best. I was almost desperate for it to be over by the time I got to the final volumes. The plot is redundant and unnecessarily drawn out into cyclic, mawkish events. Even when the pasts and motivations of the main antagonists come to light, their actions throughout the series still seem nonsensical.

What I do love about Red River is its setting, historical details, and characters. Each of these elements is much stronger than the plot as a whole. I believe this is the only historical fiction I have read set so far back into the past. I love the historical facts sprinkled throughout the series, and I think going so far back in history provided the author with a lot more leeway with the fictional aspects of the story. It was great to learn about the Hittite Empire, and I got plenty of Wikipedia research fodder from reading this, which is always a plus in my book.

I think Yuri is a good protagonist overall. I am a sucker for a story about a girl or woman gaining power and admiration in a man's world—even better if it's an ancient man's world! She might initially be a bit obnoxious and prone to idiotic decisions, but I think that is understandable for a teenager thrown back in time.

My favorite characters are the sisters, Rufasa, and of course, Aslan—the real MVP of this series. Honestly, I think I was more interested in the shenanigans of the side characters than I was in the romance between the main protagonists.

Overall, I do think Red River is a good series. It just seems too long and melodramatic for my taste. If I had a penchant for soap operas, I might be more into it.

❧ View all my Goodreads reviews.

Comments