Harriet Tubman: Live in Concert by Bob the Drag Queen

Harriet Tubman: Live in Concert: A NovelMy rating: 4 of 5 stars

I highly recommend listening to the audiobook narrated by the author.

I loved this book’s approach to critiquing Christianity’s impact on Black Americans. I appreciate authors offering valid criticisms of religion without discrediting faith and religious experiences altogether. Especially when it comes to Harriet Tubman, I feel it’s far too common for writers and historians to retrospectively question and disparage her devout faith despite it being so integral to her personhood and decisions. (I will say that atheism and/or the complete dismissal of mystical experiences seems strange in a universe where historical figures are literally coming back from the dead, but I digress.)

This book has so much to say about pride in heritage and pride in self and how both are prerequisites for true freedom. 2025 has been a dumpster fire so far, but we should all count our blessings that we were given Harriet Tubman: Live in Concert and Ryan Coogler’s Sinners in the same year. What a gift.

༻❁༺

𝓟.𝓢. This review was crossposted from Goodreads because it contains actual thoughts rather than a typically facetious single-sentence remark. View all my book ratings and pointless takes on Goodreads or The StoryGraph.


LNZ was here post sign off sticky note

Comments